Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I create income with my gift?
Yes! Georgia Southern has many plans for Gifts that Pay You Income. You can also provide income for a child, a grandchild, a parent, or a friend. That income can increase cash flow now and/or during retirement, pay for a college education, provide income for aging parents, or perhaps assist a loved one with special needs.
- I am unable to make a current gift, but I'd still like to support Georgia Southern in the future. Any ideas?
- What asset should I use to make my gift?
- Can I direct how Georgia Southern will use my gift?
- How will Georgia Southern recognize my gift?
- Why should I consider a gift to Georgia Southern?
An easy and low cost way to make a gift to Georgia Southern is to include Georgia Southern in your will or revocable trust. Gifts by Will are a major source of endowment support at Georgia Southern. Each individual legacy contributes to our financial strength and ability to meet the needs of our students and their families. If you have not already done so, please consider putting Georgia Southern in your will or revocable trust. See our Bequest Language for Your Will page for samples of how to do this. You can also designate Georgia Southern the beneficiary of Life Insurance, Annuities, or Retirement-Plan Benefits.
While cash or a check is a simple way to make a gift, you might want to consider the following:
|Gift Type||Possible Benefits|
|Cash||Current income-tax deduction
|Appreciated securities, such as stocks, bonds, or mutual funds||Elimination or reduction of capital-gain tax
Current income-tax deduction
|Transfer of residential, commercial, or undeveloped real estate||Elimination or reduction of capital-gain tax
Income- and estate-tax savings
Relief from management
|Donate an interest in closely held or family business stock||Reduce the cost of passing the business to heirs
Income- and estate-tax savings
|Give us tangible personal property like art, books, or collectibles||An income-tax charitable deduction|
|Make Georgia Southern the owner and beneficiary of life insurance or annuities||Income- and estate-tax savings|
Most often the answer to this is “yes”!! Many donors direct that their gifts be used to create scholarships, support specific departments, honor a favorite faculty member, or remember a loved one. Please be sure to discuss this when you make your gift.
Your gift will be listed in the Annual Report of Donors in the year you make the gift. If your gift is a bequest commitment, or through life insurance, life-income plans, or lead trusts, you will become a permanent member of Georgia Southern’s Soaring Eagles Legacy Society. Of course, we will also honor any requests for gifts to be anonymous.
Gifts are made for many different reasons. Often gifts are made:
• To express gratitude for the education you received.
• To honor a loved one or a professor who was important to your education.
• To ensure Georgia Southern will remain a vibrant and strong place for today’s students and for future students.
• To help Georgia Southern provide the very best in education to students, regardless of their finances.
• To celebrate a special occasion—such as your Reunion.
Please contact the Office of Trusts, Estates & Gift Planning for more information.
© Pentera, Inc. Planned giving content. All rights reserved.